This week I took on the role of News Editor. Although I found this temporary role extremely challenging, it proved to be very rewarding. The bulletin this week received mostly positive feedback and included many good elements such as Meg’s spin on a national story involving Milk prices, a lovely ‘And Finally’ by Nadidja about a new-born donkey and an overall improved production. I was very happy with the order of the bulletin and the headlines that I chose. If I were to take on the role again I would pay closer attention to making sure communication was completely fluid between reporters and myself as there were some instances where I think I overlooked issues such as presenting.
Feedback on Bulletin:
- Great work from the Director this week despite a few problems in the new studio (sound, vision mixer).
- Students achieved good access this week and interviews.
- Fantastic improvement on last week.
- The use of NATSOT was good this week.
- In terms of production there were a few black holes between the presenter and VTs.
- Nice choice of headlines but there needs to be more of a focus on specific sound bites and quotes.
- Facts need to be in the reporter’s voice.
- Pictures this week were really good – especially from the court report but stories need more aggression.
- Bullying story: needed NATSOT at the beginning but it was a good idea with a nice police interview.
- Milk story: great to localise a national story. Contained a great case study and good detail in shots.
- Naked rambler: think about the story – ask who it is affecting and go from there. Overall nice report on a story with few pictures.
- Lib-dem piece: great graphics but audience needed to hear more about the survey.
- Tourism story: nice shots and great access to Winchester Cathedral but the package really needed input from tourists in the form of vox pops.
- A lot of the packages needed a throw forward.
- Sport: Students need to follow up on stories. Basingstoke package needed a throw forward but overall very good. Nice coverage of women’s sport and nice camerawork.
- Features trailer: needed to give the tease on the comedian using sound levels.
- Donkey story: Nice ‘And Finally’ – needed more shots and variety but NATSOT at the beginning was great (although starting with the chicken was strange – it worked).
- We now have 206 new users.
- Views are generated mostly through Google so we need to tweet the bulletin via Twitter to boost social media coverage on stories.
- Coverage of the Coffee House Sessions and National Ballet Week did best for circulation this week although we’re still behind our rivals East London Lines.
- Be careful of legal issues and comment – you must be able to differentiate between comment and opinion.
- More of a focus on SEO needed in the coming weeks.
- Although we have good action shots on Sports we need more on news. Make sure to use relevant pictures for ALL text stories.
- Our Alexa ranking has fallen behind due to lack of coverage over the summer.
- Film and edit on a Tuesday – don’t leave it all until the last minute.
- New reporters on news need to produce work every week to help build confidence and improve week by week.